This is a great recipe for corn chowder with a little kick from green chiles.
Green Chile Corn Chowder
- 1 stick butter
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 8 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 32 ounce container vegetable broth
- 2 (15 ounce) cans creamed corn
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- ½ cup shredded or sliced carrot
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 cup milk
- 2 cans green chiles
- 2 small red potatoes, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pinch salt
1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Cook onions and celery in butter 3 minutes. Whisk in flour and cook 6 minutes more, until light brown. Whisk in broth and simmer 10 minutes.
2. Stir in creamed corn, potatoes, corn, carrot, half-and-half, milk, pepper and salt. Simmer over low heat 20 minutes more or until potatoes are fork tender.
This is a great way to warm up on a cold day. The green chile adds a slightly spicy flavor and the vegetable broth makes it taste like its been cooking all day.
The onion was $1, the corn was 3 for $1.50, the half and half was $1.50 and the vegetable broth was $2.50 from Fresh and Easy. Everything else was on-hand. The total for this pot of soup is $5.50!
Look Forward To
I have brussel sprouts, broccoli and cauliflower to use.