This recipe was created using the produce I had on-hand. I had 2 small eggplants and 3 small zucchini. I grilled the veggies and then cut them up and used them as the “meat” in this veggie lasagna. The end result is a smoky tasting lasagna. Enjoy!
Grilled Veggie Lasagna
¨ 3 small zucchini
¨ 2 small eggplants
¨ 1 ½ jars of your favorite tomato sauce
¨ 1 package of lasagna noodles
¨ 2 containers of ricotta cheese
¨ 1 teaspoon dried basil
¨ 1 egg
¨ Salt and pepper to taste
¨ 1 bag of mozzarella cheese
¨ ¼ cup of parmesan cheese
1. Peel eggplant, cut into large circles about ½ inch thick. Salt and let sit for 30 minutes to get rid of bitter juices. Rinse to remove salt and pat dry with paper towel, coat with olive oil.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3. In large bowl combine the ricotta cheese, salt and pepper, basil parmesan cheese and egg, set aside.
4. Cut zucchini into long strips about ½ inch thick, coat with olive oil
5. Cook zucchini and eggplant on grill over medium heat until soft. About 7 minutes on each side.
6. Allow veggies to cool slightly and cut into small pieces. Add to ricotta cheese mixture.
7. In 9X13 baking dish, put down a layer of lasagna noodles. Cover with tomato sauce; add 1/3 of the ricotta cheese mixture. Continue to layer until you run of out ingredients. Your final layer should be cheese.
8. Cook for 1 hour in oven.
9. Allow to sit for 15 minutes before serving.
This lasagna was delicious! The smoky flavors from the grill gave it a great flavor. I will be making this again.
The zucchini was $.77, the eggplants were $1 each from Sprouts. The ricotta was $5 for both containers and the mozzarella was $2 from Fresh and Easy. The lasagna noodles were $2 and the pasta sauce was $2. The total for a big pan of delicious lasagna is $13.77.
Look Forward To
I have some brussel sprouts and some green beans to use.