This recipe is for a broccoli cauliflower cheese casserole. I steamed my fresh veggies and combined them with the cheese sauce from a classic mac and cheese recipe. Then I covered it in Panko breadcrumbs and baked it. The result is a cheesy way to serve your veggies. Enjoy!
Cheesy Cauliflower and Broccoli Bake
¨ 1 head of broccoli, cleaned and cut into florets
¨ 1 head of cauliflower, cleaned and cut into florets
¨ 8 ounces of sharp cheddar, shredded
¨ 3 cups of milk
¨ 2 tablespoons butter
¨ 2 tablespoons flour
¨ ¼ cup of panko breadcrumbs
1. Put broccoli and cauliflower in large bowl. Add about ½ inch of water and cover with plastic wrap. Cook for 6 minutes in the microwave to steam.
2. In medium saucepan, melt butter. Add flour, cook for about 5 minutes to get rid of the flour taste.
3. Add milk, warm over medium heat until just before it boils. Add cheese and stir until melted into sauce. Remove from heat.
4. Put steamed veggies into baking dish. Cover in cheese sauce and breadcrumbs.
5. Bake for 30 minutes or until breadcrumbs are slightly browned.
This side dish was good. Next time I make it I will add some ground mustard to the flour and butter mixture for a richer flavor.
The broccoli and cauliflower were each on sale for $.88 from Sprouts. The cheese was $2 and everything else was on hand. For $3.76 this is a great way to get the kids to eat their veggies, and adults too!
Look Forward To
A shopping trip…I just used up all of my veggies!