Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Bananas Foster


So I’m at home staring at bunch of bananas from my co-op basket.  So anyways I have more bananas that I could eat in a week and I’m craving something sweet, when it dawns on me that I probably have everything I need to make bananas foster.  Only I’m wrong because when I look up recipes it calls for dark rum and walnuts both which I do not have.  So I read around a bit and realize I can use Baileys (which I do have) and pecans and here is the recipe I ended up with.

Bananas Foster

 

 

Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 2/3 cup brown sugar
  • 3 1/2 tablespoons bailey’s
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 3 bananas, peeled and sliced lengthwise and crosswise
  • 1/4 cup halved pecans
  • 1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream

 

 

Directions

  1. In a large, deep skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in sugar, baileys, vanilla and cinnamon. Mixture will heat up quickly so make sure to have everything measured out.  
  2. When mixture begins to bubble, place bananas and pecans in pan. Cook until bananas are hot, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve at once over vanilla ice cream.

Overall
This recipe was delicious and exactly what I was looking for.  It was smooth and creamy with little tiny crisps of sugar.  Tastes just like the bananas foster I enjoyed at a top notch restaurant.  Will definitely make this again with no changes.

Frugality
The bananas were from my co-op basket this week so they cost me about $0.80.  The ice cream was $3 for a half gallon from Fresh and Easy, the pecans were left over from the brie recipe I made this weekend and everything else was on hand.  This whole dessert could serve 4 and costs only $3.80.  Great deal!



2 comments:

  1. This looks like the perfect way to use up an overabundance of bananas. We always more than we can eat here, too. Looks delicious! Thanks for sharing on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work if you want you can try this it's my best Bananas Foster Belgian Waffles
    http://cookingrecipesplans.blogspot.com/2017/02/Bananas-Foster-Belgian-Waffles.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...