Friday, September 23, 2011

Herbed Spaghetti Squash


This recipe was one I made up.  Usually I make spaghetti squash into either a pasta-like dish with red sauce or mix it with macaroni and create a healthier version of macaroni and cheese.  Since I just made lasagna last night, I’m kind of all-pasta’d out (if that’s even possible).  So I decided to try something a little different.


Herbed Spaghetti Squash

Ingredients

o   1 medium spaghetti squash, 2-3 pounds
o   3 Tablespoons butter or margarine
o   ½ tablespoon dried parsley
o   1 tablespoon dried basil
o   1 tablespoon dried oregano
o   1 teaspoon salt
o   1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
o   A small handful of crushed walnuts or pinenuts

 

Directions

1.    Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2.   Using a sharp knife, cut the squash in half lengthwise and place, cut side down, in a baking dish. Add enough water to come 1/2-inch up the sides of the baking dish.  Use either a grapefruit spoon or a melon baller to remove seeds and discard.
3.    Bake for 45 minutes to an hour, until the squash is easily pierced with a paring knife.
4.   Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly (cool enough for you to work with it with your hands). Using a fork, gently pull the strands of squash away from the peel and place the squash strands into a mixing bowl.
5.   Add the butter, herbs, nuts and salt and pepper and toss thoroughly but gently to combine. Serve immediately.

Overall
This recipe is delicious, fresh-tasting and easy to make.  The nuts provide a great texture.  Enjoy!


Frugality
The squash was about $3 from Sprouts and everything else was on hand.  Very cheap and delicious side dish!

Look Forward To
I will be picking up my produce basket from my local co-op tomorrow.  I’m looking forward to discovering my new foods to work with next week!



3 comments:

  1. I just love spaghetti squash! I have two huge ones that I'm cooking tomorrow to freeze for the winter and can't wait to see what I find at Farmers Market :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, please! :) I would love it if you shared it on Makin' You Crave Monday over at my blog, MrsHappyHomemaker.com!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great Spaghetti Squash recipe, it looks delicious! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope you are having a great week!
    Come Back Soon,
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...