Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Easy tomato sauce


When you’re “frugal” like me, you don’t like to waste food.  So when I realized I had some tomatoes, onions and bell peppers on hand, that needed to be used up, I decided to make pasta sauce.  This is my first ever homemade pasta sauce recipe and let me just say, I nailed it!  Enjoy this one!

Homemade Tomato Sauce

Ingredients

o   2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
o   1 small onion, chopped
o   1 green bell pepper, chopped
o   3 cloves of garlic, minced
o   ¼ cup white wine (I used Riesling)
o   salt to taste
o   8 ripe roma tomatoes, quartered
o   1 teaspoon dried basil
o   1 tablespoon butter

 

Directions

1.    Heat EVOO in medium saucepan and add onion and bell pepper.  Cook for about 5 minutes.
2.   Add garlic, cook for another 3 minutes.  Add white wine, cook to reduce by half the liquid  (a few more minutes).
3.   Add tomatoes, basil and salt, cook for 40 minutes over low-medium bubble.
4.   Use immersion blender or food processor to pulse into sauce of desired consistency.  Add butter, melt and salt to taste.
5.   Serve on pasta, enjoy!

Overall
This is exactly the flavor I was looking for and who knew pasta sauce was so easy?!  This is a great, easy recipe.

Frugality
The onion was probably about $.50, the bell pepper was $.33, and the garlic was $.44 all from Sprouts.  The tomatoes were $1.26 from my produce basket, the butter and wine were on hand.  The total for this sauce comes out to $2.53 and much better than a jar of your usual go-to pasta sauce.

Look Forward To
I still have a broccoli, a cauliflower, some red and green bell peppers, a head of iceburg lettuce, 12 plums and 6 nectarines…



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...