This recipe is one of my favorite ways to use up all the veggies I have in the house. In this case, I had broccoli, red bell peppers, zucchini and onions. You can use whatever vegetables you have on hand though. This recipe fills a 9 X 13 pan to the tippy top. Enjoy!
Kate’s Veggie Lasagna
o 1 pound of broccoli, cut into small florets
o 3 red bell peppers, diced
o 2 sweet yellow onions, diced
o 2 medium zucchini, sliced
o 2 15 ounce containers of part skim ricotta cheese
o 1 egg
o 2 jars of your favorite pasta sauce
o Extra virgin olive oil (enough to coat a large pan)
o 1 tablespoon dried basil
o 1 tablespoon dried oregano
o Salt, to taste
o 1 package of lasagna noodles
o 1 bag shredded mozzarella cheese (I used part-skim)
o ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
o 4 cloves garlic, minced
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large pan, coat bottom with EVOO, add onion, broccoli, bell peppers, garlic and zucchini. Cook until the veggies are soft and the onions have a golden color. Add salt to taste.
3. In a large bowl combine ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, basil, oregano and egg. Stir.
4. Add veggies to cheese mixture, stir.
5. In 9 X 13 baking pan (I used glass but metal is good too), make layer in this order- uncooked lasagna noodles, ½ cup sauce, 1/3 veggie/cheese mixture, 1/3 cup mozzarella cheese. Repeat layering until your ingredients are all used up.
6. Cook for an hour and serve warm.
This is my go-to recipe for veggie lasagna. The flavor of the fresh vegetables goes great with the 3 kinds of cheese. This full pan of lasagna will definitely provide some great leftovers! Enjoy!
This is not my cheapest meal but its worth every penny. The pasta sauce was on sale 2 for $2 at Fresh and Easy. The broccoli was $.88, the squash was also $.88 both from Sprouts. The bell peppers were 3 for $1 at Sprouts, the onions were about a dollar. The ricotta cheese was $4 from Fresh and Easy, the spices, parm, garlicv and EVOO were on hand. The lasagna noodles were $2 and the mozz was $2 both from Fresh and Easy. The grand total for this pan of deliciousness is 13.76 and enough food to feed you for a good few days.
Look Forward To
I still have a spaghetti squash and 2 portobella mushrooms to use and I will be getting a produce basket from my local co-op on Saturday morning.