Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Cauliflower Spaghetti


This dish is one of my all-time favorite ways to eat cauliflower.  This recipe has been in my family long before me and I was lucky to have it passed down to me.  The end result is a fresh tasting, light, sauce-less pasta dish that serves as a main course in my home.

Cauliflower Spaghetti

Ingredients
  • 1 head of cauliflower, cleaned and cut into florets
  • 1 medium onion, sliced
  • 2 cloves minced garlic
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • ½ pound spaghetti noodles
  • Parmesan cheese
  • 1 tablespoon dried parsley
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions
  1. Place cleaned, florets of cauliflower in medium bowl, add 2 tablespoons of water.  Seal with  plastic wrap and microwave for 6 minutes, or until desired consistency.  Strain and set aside.
  2. Prepare pasta according to package directions, strain and set aside.  Reserve ¼ cup of starchy water.
  3. Heat olive oil in large frying pan.  Add onion and cook until soft (I like mine on the browner side), add garlic, parsley and salt and pepper to taste.  Add starchy water to deglaze pan and add moisture.
  4. Add cauliflower and pasta to onion mixture.  Stir well to combine.  Serve with parmesan cheese on top.

Overall
This is not the first or last time I will make this recipe.  As always, it was mouth-watering.  The more you cook the onions, the sweeter they become so don’t worry if they are a little brown.  If you have fresh parsley, throw it in, it adds depth to the dish.  This is a great, cheap recipe to prepare with very few ingredients.  It serves at least 3 people and makes for a great meal. 

Frugality
The cauliflower cost me about $1.65 through my food co-op (www.bountifulbaskets.org).  The pasta was $1 at Fresh and Easy.  Everything else I had on hand.  This makes a huge dinner with leftovers for $2.65.  This is a dish you really can’t beat.

Look Forward To
I still have a broccoli, a bunch of spinach, and a pound of celery to get creative with.  You should really look forward to what tonight’s leftovers will make tomorrow night….Delectable!


4 comments:

  1. George keeps talking about this! I'm gonna have to make it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to give this a try. I'm not a huge fan of cauliflower, but maye you've changed me! :) Thanks for linking to FOODIE FRIDAY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great! I love making great veggie dishes and this takes the plate. I bet it would be awesome also with substituting spaghetti squash for pasta. Thank you so much for bringing to Friday Potluck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great dish - I love cauliflower, and I especially love it with pasta. Thanks for sharing :-)
    Sue

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...